Top 10 Qualities of A Great Logo…
Thinking it’s time for an updated logo for your organization? Not certain if the investment is worth the cost? Your logo says a lot about who you are as a company, your commitment to your customers and your overall brand. A strong logo creates an identity that consumers related to, recognize and hopefully become loyal to. What are our top-10 qualities of a great brand icon? Keep reading and find out how you measure up?
10. Simple – A great icon should be simple. Forget all the tricks like drop shadows, gradient fills and borders. Simplicity is key. Strive to use as few shapes, colors and gimmicks possible when you choose your next logo. A simple icon will also be timeless – saving you the hassle and expense of a complete overhaul down the road.
9. Versatile – Logos need to look good on a variety of mediums – scaled down to fit on an ink pen or grown to fit the side of a truck. Try out different sizes and make sure your logo or icon will work across all applications – print, web, promotional products, apparel and more!
8. Strong – A great logo should be able to be reduced to only one color and still maintain a great presence. Many times you’ll need a black and white-only version of your icon. A strong icon doesn’t need color to stand out.
7. Memorable – If there is one thing to strive for, it’s retention. Consumers are bombarded daily with thousands of advertising messages. If your logo is memorable, its more easily recognized – improving your brand presence and recognition.
6. Relatable – Have a variety of product lines or services? A great logo should have components that relate to your scope of offerings. Logo components can be used in product line icons – showing the relationship between the parent company and the derivative service.
5. Unique – Many smaller companies make the mistake of using templates, stock images or clip-art as logos. Invest in custom artwork to ensure your logo tells the story of your brand and is unique as your business is.
4. Appealing – A great logo should appeal to your target market. It should say something about the industry you work in, reflect your service offerings or tie to your organization’s vision. Appeal to your target customer by using imagery that they can relate to.
3. Reflective – Logos should always point back to your organization’s brand. A more conservative icon reflects a conservative organization. Or, try an artsy or whimsical icon if your business exudes creativity. The icon should reflect who you are as an organization.
2. Competitive – Take a look at the logos of your biggest competitors. Do you have icon envy? If your competition hasn’t invested in a great brand identity, now’s the time for you to get the jump start on them. If they’ve got a great image, don’t stand idly by – catch up and compete! Market share awaits!
1. Iconic – What does your logo mean to you? It should be your passion – a great icon for your organization. It should stand for something, serving as the “American Flag” of your organization. Seeing your logo should evoke emotion from those who are closest to the brand – owners, employees and your most loyal customers!
How does your logo measure up? Is it time for some tweaking or maybe a new image? Mangold Creative can help you reach your full brand potential – contact us today for a complete brand audit.