2014 Business Olympics
Are you an Olympic addict or just a casual fan? Look anywhere over the next few weeks – TV, social media and more – and you’ll find news of the world’s best athletes competing. Whether it’s an individual or team sport, the dedication to their craft is evident in every participant.
While olympic athletes cross train when preparing for the competition, they still specialize in one specific “event” of choice – be it figure skating, ski jumping, speed skating or the bobsleigh.
As small business owners, we don’t get that luxury.
We cross train, coach, thrive, fail and compete in all different “events” every day. We must strive for the gold in finance, operations, marketing, technology, client interactions, and more – all in the name of business success.
Today marks the “Opening Ceremonies” for this year’s competition, and I’m inviting you to join in a little Business Olympics challenge with me!
Simply choose 15 “events” in which you will compete in the next two weeks. They could be new habits you want to form, items that have been on the back burner, or simply “to-do’s” on your checklist. Just remember, they should be attainable in this short period of time…you want to set yourself up for success.
Have a “star athlete” on your team – then become the coach to help them take home the gold! Have a “team sport” – designate a captain to move the project forward. Or, dig deep for those “individual sports” and get to work!
Here’s my list:
- “Like” all clients, vendors and current prospects on Facebook
- Officially “Close the Books” for 2013
- File the Mangold Creative Annual Report with the State
- Review our client contract
- Add a new website workflow into our project management system
- Establish a (kickass) photo workflow for a client
- Download, install and start using a new mileage tracking app
- Work with accountant to file our Property Tax Return
- Archive old client projects from server
- Catch up on LinkedIn Connections
- Create new branded graphics for our Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube pages
- Finish a new client’s marketing plan, calendar and budget for 2014
- Prep all documents for tax returns
- Create a new marketing response/results tracking document for a client
- Craft a plan for updating our website with new staff photos
Will you compete? Will you go for the gold? How many medals will you take home? How many will we? Tune in later this month to find out!